Thursday, September 20, 2012

Why I'm a Crappy Mom

There's been a lot of hullabaloo on the interwebz about mommy dos and don'ts.  There's a lot of judging, a lot of looking down upon, and a lot of meanness.  I won't throw stones in my glass house (er, I'm in Kentucky - glass trailers count too) or call that darn (durn) kettle black.  I have, however, been reading some blogs that highlight what moms are doing that they believe others would denounce, and it's really refreshing to see the honesty.  I think the guiding principals for not being a crappy mom are to do your best, come from a place of love (credit to my mom on that one), make informed decisions without discrediting your gut, and not kill your child.  Last one should probably be common sense, but I figured I should throw it out there.  I've seen firsthand and read about actual crappy moms.  Like "crappy" doesn't even come close to describing it.  So thinking about those people who have done horrible things to their child might really put into perspective the people who are up in arms about using vitamin drops.  Really, people.  Anyway, herein commences my list of why I'm a crappy mom:

  • C has had formula
  • C has eaten homemade baby food that was not perfectly pureed
  • C has had store-bought baby food
  • C slept in our room one night, and we couldn't take it, so he moved to his own room his second night, and has been a champ of a sleeper, for the most part
  • We've let him cry at night
  • We had him circumcised
  • We use cloth diapers
  • I forgot his bag full of dirty diapers at day care yesterday, and it sat in my hot car all day today.  Nothing says "end of the work day" like the smell of hot poo.
  • I had Stadol during labor
  • I work full time
  • We're having him vaccinated on the AAP schedule, and when the time comes, I plan on him getting the HPV vaccine
  • C and I listen to NPR on the way to day care
  • (which logically leads to) C goes to day care

There are plenty of things I've forgotten, and there are plenty of things that make me a crappy person in general.  But I do know that I'm raising a child I love; that I'm doing my research (with or without the scientific method); that he's the happiest little boy in the world (see Exhibit A below); and I haven't killed him.  Happy 8 month "birthday," buddy.  

Love always,

Your crappy mom


No comments:

Post a Comment